Worldwide Estonian Language Week KeelEST or ‘Let’s Do It!’ of Estonian language
23.09.2019 – 29.09.2019
The Estonian Institute invites you to learn and teach Estonian all over the world for one week, on September 23–29, 2019. Approximately one thousand people are already studying Estonian at universities or language courses throughout the world, and many Estonians are maintaining the mother tongue among their descendants abroad.
In September, we want to reach three million people who will learn some words or expressions in Estonian, such as numbers, greetings or congratulations. Every Estonian speaker can help! For that, you do not have to be a language teacher, all you need is a willingness to teach a few words to a foreign friend, acquaintance, colleague or neighbour. In Estonia, too, there are plenty of people, to whom you can teach our beautiful mother tongue. Of course, language is not immediately learned in this way, but that is how we plant language seeds, some of which are growing into a beautiful tree.
How and where to learn and teach Estonian? Open the website keelest.estinst.ee, where you will find tips for a language learner and teacher. There are links to web courses (Speakly, Keeleklikk) so that those who are interested could continue learning Estonian.
Each learner can mark their location on the map, from Europe to Australia. Social media content and videos about learning Estonian are also welcome and will be posted on a Facebook page keelEST.
More information about the Estonian language week in English can be found at www.keelest.ee and www.facebook.com/keelEST
Greetings of the President Kerti Kaljulaid
President Kersti Kaljulaid teaches Estonian
Suggestions for participating in the Language Week:
- Find friends and acquaintances who are interested in Estonia and organize an Estonian singing evening, language café or study tour for those who do not speak Estonian. The café menu, advertisments, street signs, etc., are helpful in teaching.
- Take language enthusiasts to the Language Week homepage https://keelest.estinst.ee/en/ In the ‘I’m learning Estonian’ section you will find language games for beginners as well as advanced courses. On the world map, each student can indicate the country where s/he comes from or where s/he is studying Estonian.
- Facebook users are kindly requested to sign up for the Language Week event at facebook.com/keelEST/ In the discussion of the event, we are waiting for posts on who, when, with whom or how Estonian was studied or tought, and it would be nice to mark the location.
- Take a picture or video of studying Estonian, post it to your Instagram account with #eestikeelest
- If you are fluent in a foreign language, please also share information in that language. You can create a separate event, group, or discussion on social media for those with whom to learn a language week.
Welcome to KeelEST newsletter!
phone +372 631 4355